Silver screen fascinates me most - Ruhee

“I never dream of becoming an actress. It is my destiny that has brought me to the world of acting,” said model-turned actress Ruhee in a conversation recently.


Ruhee

Beginning her career in the glamour world as a ramp and photographic model, Ruhee has already earned fame playing the role of Gulbahar in Gias Uddin Selim’s ongoing mega-serial Abagunthan.

“Based on the work of novelist Manju Sarkar, the serial has been scripted and directed by Selim. Channel i airs the play on Tuesdays at 9:30pm. So far, a total of four episodes have been aired on the channel. We have already completed 80 per cent of shooting of the play and the rest will be done soon,” said Ruhee.

In the serial, Ruhee has been playing the role of a simple rural girl, Gulbahar whose parents marry her off in her teens. Since then, she has been facing various difficulties in her family. When a girl of her is with playmates, she has to take care of her husband and in-laws with performing domestic chores. To make matters worse, she has even got two children with her.
“To play the role of Gulbahar is extremely challenging for me. From the very beginning of my career, what I have heard most is, ‘models cannot act’. So, when I decided to play the character, I was determined to prove it wrong and establish that models can act at ease. To play the role properly, the man who inspired me most is Selim. Through Gulbahar, the director wants to portray the sorry state of Bangladeshi rural women and stress women empowerment. The character will get a different shade when Gulbahar will become self-reliant,” Ruhee told about her role in the play.

To play the role, Ruhee had to go into a transition from the glamorous world to a simple life. “Before starting the shoot of the serial, I went through Manju Sarkar’s novel and tried to assume Gulbahar in me, she said.


“I don’t want to become a glamour queen or to act for a show-off. I love to work on women-centric works—be it for small or big screen,” she added.

Ruhee has also worked on a few single-episodes such as Ahmed Sushmoy’s Aparichita, Ripan Nabi’s Achena Manush and Shahiduzzaman Selim’s Brityer Baire Eka and others.
“Apart from TV plays, I also anchor lifestyle programme Ashadharon on Maasranga TV. A reality show of dance—Nach Bangladesh Nach for Banglavision which is expected to be hosted by me,” she informed.

Looking back on her early days in media, Dilruba Yasmeen, widely known as Ruhee, recalled, “In my childhood , I loved to take pictures of myself. After my HSC examination in 2006, I attended a photo-shoot just out of curiosity. The photographer who took my pictures in that session asked me to contact Emdad Haque, a renowned photographer. Seeing my potential as a model, he offered me to work on their Pahela Baishakh modeling gig and I emerged as a model. Later, I started working on the ramp regularly.”

Ruhee dreams to be a film actress. “Films always fascinate me. If I want to see myself as an actress, it will be for silver screen. But, I don’t feel any interest in doing typical commercial films. I want to act in films but waiting for the right time to come with good script and renowned director. However, I never leave modelling as it is my biggest passion,” Ruhee concluded.

News Source: The Daily Sun

...