Bappi Lahiri performs in Bangladesh

On March 26, Bangladesh celebrated its Independence Day, commemorating 40 years of liberation. Party to the ongoing celebrations in the country was our very own Bappi Lahiri, who performed at the Bangabandhu National Stadium (formerly known as the Dacca Stadium), last week.

"It's a huge honour that I was invited to be part of the national celebrations in the country. I was felicitated at the end of the show," informs the singer, who is currently in Kolkata to campaign for the TMC-Congress alliance. Ask him about the show and he explains, "I sang "Hajar bochhor pore", which I had composed when I was only 18 and dedicated the song to those killed in the Bangladesh Liberation War of 1971, which brought the country independence from Pakistani rule. The stadium was brimming with music lovers and the crowd went berserk, asking for more of my popular hits. It was a great experience." Bappi adds that he doesn't believe in the Epar Bangla-Opar Bangla divide and that to him, it all boils down to loving Bangla. "I'm a Bengali and love everything Bangla. Music, as an artform, is beyond borders," he signs off.

...