Masuma Rahman Nabila - Firmly anchored

Masuma Rahman Nabila is widely recognised as a TV anchor. She is currently hosting two live TV programmes: a musical programme on Banglavision and a quiz show on ntv. She has also made her debut as a model in a TVC for a cellular phone company this year.

Masuma Rahman Nabila
 
Nabila stepped into the media world in 2006 when Banglavision had just been launched. She was proposed by the channel to anchor “Ebong Classer Baire”. She worked in the programme for about a year. Then she did another show titled “Bocap”.

“I never entertained the dream of becoming a media personality. I just happened to meet some guys from the media circuit at a party after my SSC exam. They made me an offer, and I gave my consent. That is how it all started,” says Nabila.

Nabila was born and raised in Saudi Arabia but graduated from BRAC University, and is settled in Dhaka now. She lives with her mother and siblings. When asked about acting in TV plays, she says: “I'm lazy. And I think I'm not good enough as an actor. I worked as a model once. But in the end, I want to stick to anchoring.”

Anchoring is definitely under favourable stars. As Nabila says, where once only top models, actors or singers enjoyed the status of superstars, today TV anchors are also becoming much sought-after celebrities.

Nabila spends her leisure hours reading and watching movies.
Does she enjoy live anchoring? “A lot. I think there are more advantages than drawbacks of hosting a live show,” she asserts. “I can directly interact with the audience for one thing. For another, there is no such thing as a script or an editing process. Most of all, there is no one to tell me what I should do. But I often get scared when I think of what may happen if anything goes wrong.” Nabila also points out that she can fit in the two live shows anchored by her with ease.

Talking about her dreams and aspirations, she said: “I have a lot of dreams as an anchor but I don't know if they will ever be fulfilled. The programmes of Bangladeshi TV channels often lack diversity and innovation. Nevertheless, I want to stick to anchoring.”

Often, TV hosts treat their profession as a stepping stone for greener pastures. However, Nabila believes that one should respect one's work and only then does the question of fulfillment arise.

News Source: The Daily Star

...