An anchored actor

Chandni has a full plate these days, with regular appearances as a dancer, model and actor in TV plays and the silver screen. She also hosts programmes on dance from time to time.

File Photo
Chandni, the winner of a National Awards for her performance in films, is giving her best to TV plays and dance at the moment.
In an informal chat with The Daily Star (TDS), the artiste recently gave a ringside view of her busy career:
Why are you a less frequent face on TV than your contemporaries?
Chandni: It's my preference to do less work to stay closer to the audience. A few good performances can earn more love from the audience. You see it's quality that matters and not quantity. I don't want every channel to air my dramas simultaneously. And also that I prefer not to work in mega serials. If it's for only 26 episodes, I would gladly accept it. One-hour dramas or telefilms are even better. Maybe this is the reason I'm less frequent on the mini screen.
You've also been awarded a National Award for your acting on the silver screen.
Chandni: Yes. I won an award for my work as Jamila in the film “Lalshalu”. I also acted in “Dukhai” and “Joyjatra”.
What is your view on commercial movies?
Chandni: I have no intention to work in commercial films. I want to keep doing movies like the ones I've done before.
Why do you choose unique roles more often?
Chandni: I am drawn towards such challenging roles. I try my best to maintain a variety in my works. However, it is up to the viewers to judge how much of a success I am. But I like performing in unique roles such as that of a blind woman, prostitute, working woman, acid victim or drug-addict.
Tell us more about your notable works.
Chandni: I have to mention “Cherag”, which received much praise. Other memorable works include “Labonnyo Probha”, “Muniya”, “Bondhuboreshu”, “Bondhon”, “Shukhi Rani” and “Piri Bodol”.
Any memorable experiences on the career front?
Chandni: I acted in a serial titled “Gunin”, an adaptation of a story by Dr. Ashraf Siddiqui. I acted as the daughter of a snake charmer in the drama. It was a frightful experience since I am afraid of snakes but gradually I shed my fears and played with the reptiles. I also acted in the role of a prostitute in another TV play. Both were a great experience for me.
Have you quit dancing?
Chandni: Dancing is my first and final love. I can quit everything, but not dance. I wish to set up a school for dancing in the future.
Tell us about your current projects.
Chandni: I'm doing two serials titled “Long March” and “Putul Khela”, both of which are being aired. I'll also start working on another serial titled “Bijoy”. I also did a serial named “Dhaka to Sonargaon”, while there are plans of doing a few more one-hour plays soon.

News Source: The Daily Star

...